Getting started with Chef on Microsoft Azure
You can find an initial set of blog posts to help you get started with Chef on Microsoft Azure here. If you are new to Chef, I recommend you to go through some of the Chef tutorials https://learn.chef.io/. Objective of these posts are not to go deep into Chef, but to help you setup your whole set of machines (Chef Workstation, Chef Server, Chef Node) on Microsoft Azure.
- Create a virtual machine for workstation
- Install Chef Development Kit
- Learn Chef Basics on Ubuntu
- Create Virtual Machine
- Set DNS Name Label for virtual machine
- Configure Chef Server
- Create Organization
- Establish Connectivity from Workstation
- Install Azure CLI & Login
- Create Virtual Machine for Node
- Bootstrap & Verify Node
- Create cookbook on workstation
- Upload cookbook to server
- Add cookbook to run list of node
- Run chef-client on node
- Enable endpoint using Azure CLI
In the next set of blogs, I will walk you through in detail on various Azure Knife commands as well as using Chef along with Azure Resource Manger templates.
If you have feedback or questions, write a comment for the blog.